Do you remember when a phone like the Nokia 6230 was the phone to have? I remember trying to get one of these for use in the US after seeing a friend’s phone in Ireland. At the time you could only get this model on the Cingular network and the things cost hundred. This phone was a classic for it’s time and it was durable and just worked and it’s form-factor is a classic from the period.
And these days you can an Android phone on Amazon for as low as $30 that’s more powerful that a 2005 era laptop. And you know, I still want this phone, the only problem is I can’t read the screen as it’s too small!
Osra is a a utility designed to convert graphical representations of chemical structures create by Igor Filippov at the National Cancer Institute. This page documents how to compile and install Osra on Ubuntu Linux 11.10. These instructions may work on other versions of Ubuntu Linux and on Debian Linux. Please leave a comment if you have compiled Osra using these instructions on a different version of Ubuntu, or on other Linux distributions.
At the time of writing this doc, March 2012, the Osra version is 1.3.8 and is available at:
I copied all the source to a directory in /tmp. If you need the source code at some later point in time, don’t use /tmp as files in /tmp are deleted upon reboot (if they’re older than 14 days). Also, at the time of writing Osra requires a patched version of Gocr for Osra to work. You need to install Gocr before you try to compile and install Osra, you also need to install other packages required for Osra to compile. Most are listed below, but see the Osra Homepage for more details.
This is a fix for the bug where Cogs launches with the following output:
Shader compile log for data/effects/TextureBumpCubemap.fsh:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:41: error(#132) Syntax error: ‘smooth’ parse error
ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors. No code generated
Apparently the word “smooth” is reserved, but only on ATI cards in Linux. The fix is to modify the following file.
Just do a global replace of the word “smooth” with “Smooth”.
A huge thanks to Renee Marie Jones, who figured this one out
I wasn’t seeing that particular output on the console, and the screen was just blank/black and I could hear the music. But, this fix did work for me on Ubuntu Linux 10.10 (Maverick).
A user at work reported that ChemDraw suddenly started segfault-ing (crashing) on startup on his Mac. He’d opened a support ticket with CambridgeSoft and tried their suggestions, basically deleting every file associated with ChemDraw and reinstalling, which didn’t correct the problem.
I suspected that this was an issue with ChemDraw 12.0.2 (I’m using 12.0.1 and so are other CMLD members for the research lab I support). I suggested that he create a new user on his Mac and see if ChemDraw works correctly. I reasoned that ChemDraw was upgraded sometime in the past, and that there may have been some user preferences causing issues after upgrading, or some preferences settings were corrupted.
If a new user was able to use ChemDraw, then this would indicate that the installation is valid and working, and the issue is with the user’s preferences. If ChemDraw didn’t work, then the issue is probably with the installation, and we would need to install the application, and hunt down any remnants of the installation that may be in /Library or /System and then reinstall 12.0.1 to see if that would resolve the problem.
In this case, ChemDraw worked for the new user, thus indicating that the issue was not with the installation, but with the user’s setting. Deleting any files whose name started with com.cambridgesoft files in
Friday before I left work I kicked off the upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.3 on the MacBook Pro (MBP) I use at work. I’d already upgrade my personal MacBook at home (that I got a deal on at MicroCenter) and I didn’t have any observeable problems or issues and I was confident that I could upgrade and not bork my work environment.
When I arrived back into work on Monday it looked like the upgrade had completed. I logged into the MBP and my Bluetooth MagicMouse wasn’t working, and all bluetooth settings were unavailable and grayed out (both on the status bar, and in System Preferences).
I figured something had gotten out of sync during the upgrade and I thought a reboot would fix the problem. Rebooting didn’t fix the problem, but manually reinstalling the upgrade did solve the problem and Bluetooth is active and settings are accessible.
Recently I updated the wp-supercache plugin. It’s a plugin for WordPress which is the blogging software that runs this site. Wp-supercache is used to cache pages and is very useful if this blog should happen to get Slashdotted.
Wp-supercache now supports the wp-mobile plugin. What isn’t obvious from the wp-supercache settings is that you need to install the wp-mobile plugin. Get it at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mobile-edition/ unzip it, and then read the included README.txt to configure it properly.